Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A Cream Puff for Poppa

The title of this monograph requires an explanation. Several years ago, when Artur Rubenstein was being honored at the Kennedy Center, Itzhak Perlman played a special number in his honor. Perlman introduced it as "a chocolate eclair for Mr. Rubenstein." I was struck at the exquisite characterization. I remember that so well this morning as I write something about a very special performer, my grandson Jon. Today Jonathon will perform a piano recital. In the really old days, when I was a kid, playing in a piano recital meant taking a bath that morning, actually combing your hair, putting on Sunday clothes and then stumbling through a piece of music while wishing you were outside playing baseball. The beauty of having grandchildren in one's life is that you learn from them far more than you can ever give back, particularly about no-limits living. I often think that my grandchldren are people that have appeared during this period of time in my life as a gift, a demonstration of the spirit of life in a myriad of ways. Because Jon is in Michigan and I am in Florida, I will listen this afternoon by phone. Not as good as being there, but I will be free to shed tears of joy in the privacy of my home. So you can have an inkling about what I am writing, here is the truly awesome program that Jon will play today; I consider it a cream puff for Poppa.

Piano Concert by Jon Vredenburg

March 12, 2008



Aria (Theme from La Traviata)………………………………Giuseppe Verdi

She Loves Me…………………………………………………McCartney

Don’t Cry for Me, Argentina.…….…………………………..Andrew Lloyd Webber

I Want to Hold Your Hand….………………………………..Lennon and McCartney

Linus and Lucy.....……………………………………………Vince Guaraldi

The James Bond Theme….…………………………………..Monty Norman

Over the Rainbow…………………………………………….Harold Arlen

Ding-Dong! The Witch Is Dead…..………………………….Harold Arlen

Baby Face…………………………………………………….Davis and Akst

Tuxedo Junction……………………………………………..Hawkins,Johnson,Dash,Feyne

No comments: