Sunday, November 9, 2008

An Apology Is In Order

In a recent posting (Ups and Downs and . . .-Oct. 30, 2008) I wrote, in part, the following: If four years from now finds us in the throes of Democratic greed and mistakes resulting from the tendency to take unchecked power and turn planned good deeds into excesses like pigs eating at a trough, then all will have been for naught. I, for one, will be content if the lesson of 2008 restores the country to civility, moderation in all things and charitable thoughts to all, including those son of a bitches who still think Bush is the nearest thing to Jesus. Oops, there I go again, being a jerk.

A thoughtful friend has responded and takes exception to being characterized as a 'son of a bitch' and after reading his response, rightly so. I apologize to him as well as to others who may have taken umbrage at my characterization. In so doing, I must point out that my poor attempt at humor was not only in bad taste, but was counter to the very point that I was trying to make; i.e., civility with free exchange of ideas is at the very heart of the American ideal of ffeedom of expression.

No comments: