Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mothers' Day


With a little help (make that a lot) from Joyce Kilmer, I drafted a poem for Mary Ellen this morning to reflect the awe I feel with regard to her mothering skills.  Upon reflection, I thought it might be nice to share this poem with each of you and wish all of the mothers in our lives a Happy Mothers’ Day.

         To a Wonderful Mother


I THINK that I shall never read a
poem as lovely as a mother.
  
A mother whose gentle lips are prest
Against the head of sweet and helpless child
  
A mother that looks at God all day,
And lifts her hands to pray;
  
A mother that may in summer hear
The joy of children laughing near;
  
Upon whose bosom tears have lain;
Who intimately lives with other’s pain.

That is who you are,
One can plainly see
  
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a mother like thee.




No comments: