Sunday, May 18, 2014

Same Old, Same Old

I have just returned to Michigan having spent the winter in Florida.  What these two areas have in common for me is the constant razz-a-ma-tazz from my golf colleagues about how terrible Obama is and what a failure he has been as president.   Just yesterday, after my first round of golf in Michigan (where I took a few bucks from them), my friends predictably started the refrain.  I have discovered that the truth will bring these 'discussions' to a shuddering halt by declaring that Obama will go down in history as one of the best U.S. presidents ever.   McCain, Romney, Cheney, Bush (Jr.) or one of their ilk would now have our country at war in Iraq, Ukraine, Syria, some other God-forsaken place or even Detroit, (who knows?) but, insofar as the need for success in foreign policy goes, I am grateful for the careful reluctance of our president in resisting intervening in messes being created by others.  It is, indeed, hypocritical to suggest that the U.S. has an obligation to tell other countries how to live their lives when right here at home Republican folly has lowered the opportunities and expectations of citizens to realize the dream and the stated purpose of the Declaration of Independence.

No comments: